Monday, February 17, 2014

At this point, I have a process for applying for jobs. I have an "incoming" folder for jobs I want to apply for. I record the date I added the job to the folder, job title, company, listing source (LinkedIn, job board etc.). I regularly review this list and submit applications for these jobs. I have an "applied" folder for the jobs I applied for (jobs move from the incoming folder to the apply folder). I record the submission date and method (online application, email etc.) and keep a copy of the resume and cover letter used.  I have an "interview" folder with a file for each interview. I record the date of the interview, interviewer, additional details on the job, and sometimes my thoughts on how the interview went. When preparing for an interview, I am always happy that I kept a copy of the job posting.

I have had mostly telephone interviews. Times are changing. A lot more employers are using the telephone interview to screen candidates. I have my first in-person interview this Wednesday. I am excited. It is a really good position and I want it.

As I am preparing for the interview, I am recalling the quotes on persuasion I reviewed for the LessonsProject. After all, an interview is about making a good impression and persuading the employer to hire you.

"People are persuaded more by the depth of your conviction than by the height of your logic -- more by your own enthusiasm than any proof you can offer." - Cavett Robert

"What convinces is conviction. Believe in the argument you're advancing. If you don't you're as good as dead. The other person will sense that something isn't there, and no chain of reasoning, no matter how logical or elegant or brilliant, will win your case for you. " - Lyndon B. Johnson

"There is only one way to get anybody to do anything. And that is by making the other person want to do it." - Dale Carnegie

"To persuade or sell you must solve a person's problem or help them seize an opportunity." - Tony Alessandra

I also found the following articles:

"How to Use Persuasion to Ace the Job Interview"
by Neil Kokemuller.
http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/use-persuasion-ace-job-interview-6409.html

"How to Prepare Persuasive Job Interview Answers"
http://www.interviewsuccessformula.com/job-interview-tips/how-to-prepare-persuasive-job-interview-answers.php

I am worried that too much persuasion would annoy or turn off the interviewer. I also want to be completely honest (no deception). Maybe I'll stick to what has worked for me in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment